Credit card burning and need some tips

Stewart Townsend

Morning

So Im building out my Merc 811D and credit card is burning, I need batteries and got a discount from Alpha but need also starter battery as well due to the old ones burning out so its around 600 quid… ouch.

Is there anywhere cheaper for batteries, trade, save some cash. Was going to just get one started battery which is about 85 quid, but you have to buy in pairs otherwise reverts to the poor battery life only Ive been told.

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-110ah-leoch-powabloc-tubular-gel-battery/

Wood burner - seen some at machine mart I like, same question. Better places to buy, get made etc.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/boxwood-cast-iron-stove/

Windows - I'm going to a place on Wednesday that makes Static caravan windows so only 45mm profile not 70mm, anyone else got house UPVC windows fitted or similar?

I've looked at eBay, but my holes are 1000 x 550 (:relievedface: and trying to find ones that will sit in the hole but also then have the lip so can seal them to outside of the van is proving interesting.

Solar - Kit from Bimble is around 350 delivered but uncertain as says from stock but can take up to two weeks. Anywhere else that delivers quicker, is it simple just to buy a kit or separates ?

https://www.bimblesolar.com/310wBi-kit-mppt-tracer

Sorry lots of questions but got two more weeks of build and the couple doing it will need everything and I want to get it ordered and onsite.

Yes way over budget :) Took two weeks of more rust proofing, welding and sanding her down for a respray.

Going for camel sand in raptor paint, hopefully, look awesome otherwise its a lot of money down the drain if anyone else has done it then be good to hear how it went.

BigStevie

You've certainly got plenty going on! I'm guessing from your comments that you're not building the van yourself, some one is building it for you? I only mention this as I'm assuming whoever is doing the work has done something similar before? I mean if that someone thinks it's okay to use domestic double glazing units in a van, I suspect they haven't done a van before....

Batteries, you pays your money and get what you pay for.

Windows, certainly not domestic windows as they're heavy and not the safe type of glass you need in a moving, flexing vehicle. I haven't used static caravan windows, so can't comment, but again, not designed to be in a moving vehicle.

Stove, a number of insurers won't cover you, best check first. Again, if you go for a stove, make sure it's fitted safely and correctly.

I bought a cheap 200w solar kit, again it's a case of paying your money and getting what you pay for. My cheap kit is performing well.

I think your windows are going to be your biggest issue, you need to get that bit right before the rest of it can happen. Avoid cutting holes in the body with (right angle) square corners as this can lead to fatigue and splitting.

Best to have a good look at what others have done, often they've resolved the problems you're now faced with.

It's a great base van with plenty of space, hope all goes to plan.

Stevie

Stewart Townsend

Hi Stevie

Got someone building it for me who has UPVC windows fitted in their van, seen a few with them but yep definitely going toughened glass as the other option is caravan plastic windows but just dont like the look. Holes already cut as removed the caravan ones from there, which are a bit old but still shut.

Stove good idea about insurance Ill check before sinking money into one that looks lovely but cant fit :)

Bimble have great kits just trying to get a delivery date from their courier as to when can ship to close to me.

Alpha looking best on batteries, and yep going to dig through the forums tonight as its now decision time lol

Thanks for reply, my other though on windows was the ones where its a piece of glass they come and glue to the van.. the fixed ones.