compact campervan for 4 - iveco daily

MeelisV

i know that i cant finish my van before who knows when
but i know that first trip will start after 10 days :winkytongue:

we need beds for sleep and cooler for food and its good already.
our last 5 year camping trips where made with teardrop trailer so we are happy what we have now

D

Deleted member 2

insulation where

floor? wall? roof ?
all is done and you can see pics in earlier posts
Forgive me I hadn't seen it................. However with such a very comprehensive build I would have thought you would have used the very best and most efficient form of insulation, namely closed cell spray foam.

Phil

Roadrunner

He has done a very good job and its not easy building a c/van from scratch and well beyond most,keep the picys coming me lad.

MeelisV

Hi Meelis and welcome to the forum.

That Daily is a great looking van and I'm very impressed with the solutions you are coming up with. Some real thoughtful engineering going on there. And the roof is much simpler than the older Dailys like mine.

Interestingly, I got the EN regulations I needed from Estonia. It's one of the countries towards the top of our "must go to" list. Just got to finish my van, first!
you are welcome
if there is anybody who wants to visit Estonia - write and i will help how i can

https://www.visitestonia.com/en

D

Deleted member

Forgive me I hadn't seen it................. However with such a very comprehensive build I would have thought you would have used the very best and most efficient form of insulation, namely closed cell spray foam.

Phil
Phil, just like my love of the bonded dark flush glass windows, your love of CC spay foam insulation is a matter of individual opinion and is "subjective". Whilst I agree that SFI is a very good system, I personally think that there are also some disadvantages and do not choose to use that system. Just my own "subjective" comments. Geoff.;););)

Roadrunner

Phil, just like my love of the bonded dark flush glass windows, your love of CC spay foam insulation is a matter of individual opinion and is "subjective". Whilst I agree that SFI is a very good system, I personally think that there are also some disadvantages and do not choose to use that system. Just my own "subjective" comments. Geoff.;););)
I agree as if van damaged coachworks will have problems removing to weld,i used under floor insulation with silver bubble wrap.

Attachments

Darcar

Today

Grossglockner alpine road. Austria.

That’s a great pass, did it ourselves a few ago, watch out for the marmots, I very nearly hit some on the way down, with very hot and ineffective breaks. The old Mercedes 709 had drum breaks and were prone to over heat when used heavily... !
Darcar.

D

Deleted member

That van looks really nice, I have never really thought about using an Iveco because they were too narrow, but your beast looks great. Geoff.

MeelisV

first trip is done
total 5200 km from Estonia, Tallinn via Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Czech to Austria
9 days in Austria and few stops in Czech and Poland and then via Lithuania and Latvia back home
total 15 days and 14 nights in van 2 adults and 2 kids (9 and 1:relievedface:
only one day without driving and longest day was ~890 km
van is not ready but it was very good test run and the best way to understand our needs so we got lot of ideas what to do next
we had no experience with our camper what so ever but only one test night for testing drop down hanging bed

van itself was super 3L engine and Hi-Matic box works well
highways 120...130 km/h easy and so i drove
mountains (high Alps) no problem and easy
7x refueling (i have 100L tank) total from full to full 562 L
and it is then 10,66 L per 100 km (it can be better when lower highway speed to 100 km/h and climb mountains calmly i think that 9,x L per 100 km is no problem)

Pugwash

All good then? When I built my first van we took it for two weeks in Cornwall slightly unfinished. It is the best way to find out what you need to add.

MeelisV

some pics
toilet

was like this

trimmed little bit from back and fitted through back wall

water tank and pump under the bed
larger spiral hose is filling and suction goes down to bottom

4 chairs and grill/stove

table

window blinds from pepireflect

sink and stove

pack of chips ~2500m above sea level
extra tense and cup with mashed potatoes just exploded

MeelisV

All good then? When I built my first van we took it for two weeks in Cornwall slightly unfinished. It is the best way to find out what you need to add.
yes it is the best way to build campervan - do something, and test it before finishing
i have now lot of experience what i need
i know that i need lot of storage anywhere where i can make it
i know that i need to make hanging bed to work with linear motor or …. manual is not sustainable
i know that i need to remake kitchen area - it all was temporary anyway

we had only one night sleeping in front house before going travel just for testing bed and nothing else

how and where all stuff is placed it all come with experience

good is that insulation works well only that i need to finish it all
there is some places not done yet - both front doors, slide door, upper left corner between wall and roof
car AC can cool down all
and sun is not heating inside temp too high at all when its under the sun using the blinds too
and no need to heating when night temp is 13..15 C (last weekend in Estonia)

thermal image
roof insulation is 30...32 and not insulated corner is over 43 c
and there is still missing one final layer pepireflekt insulation from roof

Auldtam

Great thread, thanks for sharing your self build with us. I to have a swb daily, I went for the tried and tested rock and roll bed with side kitchen layout -porti potti at the rear, no shower.

Youve done a fantastic job!

MeelisV

some new pics
hope that find later some time to write more

camping in Estonia

winter

new bumper

swing out bike rack project

awning gasket

drop down bed bracket broke and i fell down