Cold water tap for foot pump

kas

Hello. I'm new to this forum and new to camper conversions. :eek::eek::eek::eek:The volume of
Online advice is making my head spin. I can't seem to clarify whether its possible to use a standard kitchen faucet\tap with a manual foot pump or whether if I can, can I use a mixer with modification? If so what modifications?
I'd be very grateful for some advice, the campervan taps I've seen arent that nice and there's limited choice. Thanks

egg-fried-rice

Hello. I'm new to this forum and new to camper conversions. :eek::eek::eek::eek:The volume of
Online advice is making my head spin. I can't seem to clarify whether its possible to use a standard kitchen faucet\tap with a manual foot pump or whether if I can, can I use a mixer with modification? If so what modifications?
I'd be very grateful for some advice, the campervan taps I've seen arent that nice and there's limited choice. Thanks
It is possible to use a standard kitchen tap but I think you will need an Accumulator (pressure regulator) and 12v Pump like the Shurflow System (not heard of a foot pump).

I’ve used all three in my van. That’s to say I have a kitchen and shower set-up with 12v pump system (external underslung tank), a separate onboard internal fresh water tap with mini pump (for bottled water and also when it freezes outside) and both a standard household kitchen tap and camper-van shower tap.

Obviously to cover all points it would take a few paragraphs to explain so maybe this link will be of help to you (See the list on the right hand side, most of your questions are covered and have images) Diyvan http://diyvan.co.uk/

Also see this guy Deep Red: http://deepredmotorhome.com/

Not forgetting Greg Virgo’s build on YouTube (a must see)

Look upWhale Pumps” for a simple system and “Shureflow” for a more comprehensive system. Some taps have internal 12v trip switches that trigger when you use them and start the pump.

Dont be put off it’s fairly simple plumbing, good luck.

Last edited:

egg-fried-rice

I forgot to add. For a standard Kitchen tap there isnt a trip-switch so no way to activate say a simple Whale Pump that I know of. Only way I know is to use a Shurflow system which doesn’t require any special type of tap (it works off water pressure).

For pipe and tap fittings see “John Guest” parts

Last edited:

egg-fried-rice

Have you considered a Gravity Tank? That will work off any tap (so long it’s higher than the tap - usually inside an overhead cupboard) they are used in campervans (but not common) as well as boats. Add an optional simple 12v pump to feed the Gravity Tank from a larger Reservoir (tank) thus keeping the Gravity Tank fairly small.

Last edited:

david.c.hall

Hi and welcome.
It's quite unusual to use the manual foot pump these days. Most common is a pumped pressure system. I assume that you mean this sort of thing?
They don't really need a tap, just a spout but I can see no reason why you can't use a domestic tap for that. Just leave in the on position and you have a spout

tacr2man

As @david.c.hall with foot pump dont need a tap as such , You could use a mixer but if you dont have hot water supply whats the point . if you did you would need to block off other input to prevent any chance of backflow .

BigAldo

Hi Kas.
My first question has to be why you have focussed on a footpump.
There are circumstances where this is a good option (No leisure battery), but with most builds having at least rudimentary electrical systems, a simple drop in whale pump with a switch may be a better option.
From there you have varying degrees of sophistication, complication and expense, depending on your needs.
And to answer your question, any tap of your choice will work with a footpump. Just turn it on and pump!

BigStevie

Hi Kas, water systems can be simple or complex, it’s all about personal preference. For myself I have a pumped cold water system using a 70 litre fresh water tank and a shurflo pressure sensitive pump and a pressure accumulator (a cheapish simple item). This supplies a large stainless steel sink which is big enough to utilise for many washing purposes!
As I’m of a frugal nature, my shower is supplied from a poly Jerry can with a whale submersible pump. I fill the jerrycan with water boiled on the cooker and cold water to get the temperature I need to shower.
At the end of the day it comes down to budget, and as I mentioned earlier, personal preference. Good luck with your build, the great thing about self build is you end up with what you want and can afford.