Ceiling panels. Marking out shapes & sizes?

peter edwards

hello folks,

Had great help/advice here last 15 months, so here I am again !.

How did you mark out the shape of van ceiling, to make panels ?
Scribing van walls was ok, but overhead work has me stumped for ideas.

Thanks for any help !.

misterg

I made cardboard templates for each end of each board (the width of the board, but only about 18-24” deep). By measuring from reference points on the templates to the centre of the van roof I could locate the templates on the ceiling board using a centre line marked on the board.

Just think carefully about which way up the board needs to be (if using vinyl faced ply) - the first cut I made would have had the vinyl face up and the ply face into the van! (Luckily I had enough slack to rescue it.)

peter edwards

I made cardboard templates for each end of each board
Thanks. Glad it worked out for you.
I'm planning a row of 4 ply boards, each covering the whole width of van.
Using 3mm ply, bonded to roof batons

mr brown

fix a bit of hardboard or ply about 60cms square to the corner with a self drilling screw or 2 into a rib, then scribe. if a bit wrong , move it closer and scribe again. once you have it right cut another one for the other corner . now cut a 150mm strip that will overlap both pieces and screw it to both.
remove the screws holding the scribed corners to the ceiling . you now have a template for one end

peter edwards

Thanks Mr.Brown
All ideas appreciated. I'll give it a go. Cheers :)

misterg

I stapled a batton to the cardboard and wedged this against the roof ribs while I scribed the cardboard. As Mr Brown says: if you’re not happy with the fit of the template, just move it closer and try again :)

mr brown

one more thing- i usually leave a gap of about 30-50mm between the roof and wall panels. this gets a cover strip over it at the end of the build . it means you can do all your wiring as you go along and bury the wires in this slot. ceiling lights can never be more than 30'' away from this slot , so a bit of stiff wire is all you need to wire them. i've got about 14 downlighters in my ceiling , all wired this way , so i could decide how i wanted them after all the cabinets were in

david.c.hall

I put the ceiling boards (Magnums 8 x 4) up before i put the furniture in.
9 mm ply strips glued to the roof ribs and then glued the panels to them
David

mr brown

yes,me too, but the slot i leave runs from the overhead locker to the backdoors on both sides , the cover strip goes up in sections , cut to fit in the lockers , and canbe removed at any time if further lighting or reverse camera is added

peter edwards

Thanks folks for all your helpful contributions.
My LED ceiling light positions decided and wired.
Will spend time getting the van shape scribed precisely onto the ceiling panels.
3mm ply roof panels, with trim strip concealing edges in between.
LED holes will be pre-cut on each panel, and wiring pulled though.