Buying a caravan to use the parts

Littleoldman

I have the opportunity to buy a caravan that has been crash damaged and written off as being unfit to be used as a caravan again. It’s a 2017 van and isn’t cheap at £4000. But the list of parts is endless, including Truma heater, cooker, fridge and windows. And lots more. Anyone gone down this route? Financial it seems a good idea as long as the usable parts are working. And if there’s some parts over they can be moved on.

Liberty hall

Littleoldman
We went down this route and if we were to build another would without question do it again. We payed £2400 for ours at the time (2014) the van was (2010). There are a couple of sellers one is Yorkshire caravan salvage the other which we used was mk caravans, based in Romford Essex.
With the parts we didn’t use we got back £1200 that included fridge fixed bed roof lights and windows as we went with bonded glass.
One thing to take into account is that caravans are built from the inside out so all your fixings are hidden we used a rip saw to gain access between the back of the units and the sides of the van.
Hope this helps also one other thought some vans are better quality so be careful with your choice of maker!!
Take care
Ken
Ps is it a sprite major by any chance? If so the sterling comes with a Truma combi and in my opinion a better build quality!!

Littleoldman

Ken, thank you for replying. £4000 is a lot of money, but providing all the appliances are undamaged it’s a win win financially. And as you say you can sell what you don’t use. Cheers and thanks

Liberty hall

Ken, thank you for replying. £4000 is a lot of money, but providing all the appliances are undamaged it’s a win win financially. And as you say you can sell what you don’t use. Cheers and thanks
Don’t be rushed check that all appliances are working before you part with your cash!! Also make sure it’s towable!! Sorry to point out the obvious
Ken

BigStevie

It might seem obvious, but it didn’t seem that way to me when I first bought a scrap doner caravan years ago...
I bought it for the appliances basically. What I hadn’t reckoned on was how much of the lightweight ply interior I used, a real bonus! Plus all the little items that are pricey to buy new, catches, gas bottle clamps, electrical odds and sods etc etc. It even came with an awning that I sold on...

As mentioned above, make sure the important stuff works. Happy hunting!

Stevie

Littleoldman

Thanks Stevie, as you say handles, catches hinges all mount up to quite a price. I'm contacting the seller again tomorrow. He's about 250 miles away so I won't get to see the van will ask him a list of questions. This is good advice for a newbie like me.

Roadrunner

Used very little apart from locker doors & loo from a van i got for £75,most i have seen are build with crap.
My sink /cooker from ebay was £30 and windows seitzs type for £40.
I think it is better to work from scratch as making thing to fit your van rather than adoped low grade bits from a caravan.

Attachments

Littleoldman

You’ve done a nice job, and if the donor van was an old one I can see that you’d be limited as to what you could take from it. My worry is that there would be damage to the bits I need which are the kitchen and bathroom. If there is then I’m stuck, it’s a gamble and I don’t gamble. Thanks for your honest view.

Roadrunner

You’ve done a nice job, and if the donor van was an old one I can see that you’d be limited as to what you could take from it. My worry is that there would be damage to the bits I need which are the kitchen and bathroom. If there is then I’m stuck, it’s a gamble and I don’t gamble. Thanks for your honest view.
You will notice i used a 12v water wash hand unit from a council van,holds 6/8 ltrs of water in top tank,wast goes down to under floor holding tank,a good wash is as good as a shower for a few days

Littleoldman

Saw a van last week with a similar unit, it was some kind of works van, that one heated the water somehow. Were hoping to get a small toilet shower into the van, I have seen a few nice ones on youtube. Bought the Peugeot Boxer and started getting stuff. Money is already going fast. I think I will need to tread carefully. Any advice or ideas are more than welcome. Thanks again.

BigStevie

Ive got one of these wash units in my van, an Eberspacher Handiwash. Had one in another van, great units. There are plenty of secondhand ones around. They have an electric heater for the water, Mine is wired to vehicle battery and have it heating while driving.
In the present van it’s in the bathroom (the only place I have room). If you put one in, make sure you have adequate gauge cable and switch. All fitting details are on the erberspacher website.

Littleoldman

Thanks Stevie, hadn’t seen one until last week. Was wondering how they worked. Do you have a heater for the van as well as the water?

BigStevie

I don’t have a water heater in the van, mainly because I’m building on a budget. Still have a shower, fed from a plastic Gerry can with a submersible pump. Put both hot and cold water in the can to desired temp and shower (water heated on the cooker).
I do have a 70litre fiamma water tank and water pumped to a large kitchen sink via a shurflo pump.
Like I said, I’m building on a budget...

Littleoldman

Your ingenuity is endless. Living where you do I would have thought space heating was a must. My son is getting a van and fitting a small wood burner.

BigStevie

Ah, van heating... I haven’t got a heater in at the moment, but do have a space for an under seat gas fired blown air heater. As I’m not intending winter use, I’ll see how we go before blowing £500!
I hear insurance companies aren’t keen on solid fuel stoves in a van..... make sure your son checks with his insurer.

Stevie

Littleoldman

Your right about the wood stove, Don’t think he’s going to go down the total fit out, he says he will keep it as a van. No heating! Your a hardy lot you Scottish.