Bladder Tanks

grandaddylow

Hi,

I've been thinking about ways to make my water tanks to save ££ on buying them. I'm not sure I'll manage plastic welding without having to spend lots on tools. But I'm wondering about bladder tanks inside a box... anyone tried it?

GDL.

grandaddylow

Yeah - I looked at generic tanks. I always found that water was the biggest limiting factor in being self sufficient. I'm looking at under-vehicle tanks and some of the shapes that will be required down there are quite complicated (while others are quite straight forward).

Apparently fiber glass is another option, with appropriate resin.

BigStevie

I imagine bladder tanks might be difficult to clean? I’ve seen them used for fuel applications before, not for water...

Coire

I've spent the last few months debating this very question as I have the common small campervan setup of internal 10L bottles for fresh and waste water and it takes up a lot of space.

Being a small van it has limited underfloor space and its all an odd shape. As you have noticed the tank market is all sewn up by a couple of companies and a simple 15L container costs an arm and a leg before you even specify holes and fittings.

I set off on a mission to weld up my own underslung tanks but that got waylaid by reading a lot of articles about harmful bacteria breeding in large underfloor tanks and pipes where cleaning access is not easy.

In addition buying food safe paint to coat the metal was going to cost more than a custom made tank. That or making it out of aluminium which is £££ on welding supplies again defeating the purpose.

I came to a compromise of making my own waste tank out of mild steel to fit an awkward underfloor section.

To free up more space I made a battery cradle to get that out of the way.

This frees up more space for internal water storage that I can easily clean and refresh. I can carry about 40-50L inside and still have more space than before.

I have also been looking at wheel arch tanks. Often this space is under utilised so it might give you another option although access to clean it may be difficult.

If you don't drink straight from the tank then all of this is moot. Maybe you can find a good quality large water container meant for festivals etc and strap that up? Some of the 30L ones I've seen are as strong as custom tanks and can be had for £20

grandaddylow

That looks like a pretty neat solution - nice work. I had assumed that I'd solve gray water and fresh water in the same manner, but this is a good point. I guess one solution is to grab a couple of 30l tanks and sling them up as you say. Thanks.