Black Water Tank Venting

grandaddylow

I've decided to go down the route of a larger black water tank with a marine toilet. I'm looking for enough capacity to do a week of grid for 5 people, so cassette toilets are out.

Does anyone have any advice on venting black water tanks? It rather looks like it has to be vented to the roof. I'd like to minimise the number of holes in my van - is there any cunning solutions out there that negate the need for roof vents?

Thanks, GDL.

Sandbagsid

Only problem with a large waste tank is the amount of weight once it’s half full or more, it will eat into ya load carrying capacity. I think you have to vent then above roof height for smell even then if the winds in the wrong direction it could be a bit toxic. You might be able to get something similar to a domestic dergo valve As used on house soil pipes that way it wouldn’t have to go to high up, just a thought. Good luck getting it sorted.

grandaddylow

Weight is not an issue: I deliberately bought a 7t van so that I could carry enough water for a week.

I too wondered about the dergo valve, but they seem to admit air into the system rather than permit gas to leave. I think if I modified it to be two way, it'd probably leak more than gasses...

BigStevie

I used a stainless steel marine fuel tank vent high up on the body side to vent the leisure batteries. Neat and cheap!
Might be worth to see how manufacturers deal with venting black water tanks, have a look at some a-class camper designs/manuals?

Stevie

grandaddylow

The RVs and boat people are using pipes with ID over 1.25 inches. Straight is apparently desirable as it makes it easier to clear blockages. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and cut another hole. Cutting holes in vans always feels a bit 'wrong'!

Ballcock

A Dergo valve is an air admittance valve not a vent it is to allow the soil pipe to flow without causing a vacuum. Could you run a small vent up the outside of the van if the waste tank is mounted underneath. it would not need to be a large diameter so could easily be run up along a ladder or even a flat oblong section up the rear quarter.

roadliner

The RVs and boat people are using pipes with ID over 1.25 inches. Straight is apparently desirable as it makes it easier to clear blockages. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and cut another hole. Cutting holes in vans always feels a bit 'wrong'!
When you have cut bloody great holes in your van for windows ,roof lights etc. a pipe is nothing. Go for it!

grandaddylow

Yup. Your probably right. I'm worried that a narrow bore will clog. The boat people reckon that straight pipes are better cos it's earlier to shove something down it to unblock it...

Sandbagsid

Bit of 32mm plastic waste pipe with a tee piece on top facing front to rear so the wind would blow across the top getting rid of any smelly stuff

tacr2man

Why marine toilet , cant you locate black tank below the toilet , most RVs are direct or near enough entry . Then you need to be able to position your grey tank to feed into the black dump pipe to flush it when dumping .