Batteries...

BigStevie

Electrics, I know the basic stuff, that's it. So, I've got 200w of solar to go on the roof, what batteries do I need? Also, venting, sounds silly, but do sealed batteries need to be vented? Pro's and cons all welcome!

Stevie

Liberty hall

Steve
As is well know I know nothing about the (dark art) however we have 200w of solar running through a C tek D250s to two 135Ah batteries our batteries had vent holes to run vents. We used aquarium tubing and fittings.
Whether they needed venting though I’m sure someone more qualified will be along soon. We have a mains charger though have never had the need to use it!! As the solar keeps us well charged up though struggles a little in the winter months.
We have a 12v vetrifrigo fridge led lighting and tv occasionally!!
Hope this helps a little
Ken

Roadrunner

Some sealed batterys do require a blow of vent just in case,but nothing comes out unless way over charged,ie something wrong and charge going above 14.4v.
If there is no blow of outlet for a pipe then you will be ok.

Pugwash

Think of it like this - more solar power means you collect more sunlight. More batteries means you can store more of it. If you have too few batteries you can't store all you collect. Too few solar panels and you can't fill the batteries up.
Work out how many mAh you would normally use based on the power and hours of each device.

Last edited:

Roadrunner

Think of it like this - more solar power means you collect more sunlight. More batteries means you can store more of it. If you have too few batteries you can't store all you collect. Too few solar panels and you can't fill the batteries up.
Work out how many mAh you would normally use based on the power and hours of each device.
Just about right,it works like this,batterys will discharge to 60% so 40% down though this is not so good,so if you double from one 100ah to 200ah ie two batterys then you will only cycle down 20% which will give a longer life,again at least 200w of solar to keep up,but do remember about six mths of the year they may well if lucky only give about 1/4 of there output.
This of coarse is for folk who wild camp,those who folk staying on wobbly box or tent sites it dont make one bit of sense to add more batteys.
If you wild like me then do work out usage of things like lights,tv, charging usb stuff then see how much draw will be on battery,the above is my recomendation but its a free world so follow your own nose but do have fun.

BigStevie

Thanks everyone...
So, given my 200w of solar panels I need two 100ah batteries or bigger? Or have I missed the point. Yes, the solar is going on because I have the Highlands on my doorstep and wild camping is legal here! I suspect for most of our trips the panels are overkill, but don't want to be let down once we hit the continent on longer trips.

Stevie

Roadrunner

Thanks everyone...
So, given my 200w of solar panels I need two 100ah batteries or bigger? Or have I missed the point. Yes, the solar is going on because I have the Highlands on my doorstep and wild camping is legal here! I suspect for most of our trips the panels are overkill, but don't want to be let down once we hit the continent on longer trips.

Stevie
Yep double up to harvest solar and you also will not cycle down the battery bank as much making them last longer with reserve power on tap,good luck.