B2B Charger - do I really need one?

dilby

Hi all. I am currently planning out my electric in my citroen relay conversion L2H2. My wife and I both work for ourselves so need access to our devices, but apart from that we won't have a lot of high-draw appliances (no oven, gas hob, gas heater). When in holiday mode we will stick to campsites and use hook up power for the most part, but I have 2 x 100w solar panels on the roof as backup and 2. x 100ah AGM batteries. My planned setup includes a victron smart charger and multiplus but when I look at example setups, they fall into two types it seems; an off grid setup that is B2B and solar, and then an on-site one that is hook up and solar. Do folks think having all three options (solar, starter battery and hook up) is overkill for a van I won't be living in?

Thanks!

Last edited:

egg-fried-rice

Personally I am not a big fan of campsites so obviously a B2B was my choice.

If you can live with only mains power then you don’t need a B2B and only one 100 ah battery should be fine, but you will always be tied to having to go on a site with mains power. I’ve used campsites (mainly farms) and some of the best didn’t offer 240v mains facilities (they are cheap too).

BigAldo

From what you describe, it sounds like you will mostly be on sites with hookup, with only an occasional night or two not 'plugged in'.
2 x 100 ah batteries should comfortably handle this scenario, especially with solar charging.
I would suggest installing a battery monitor for peace of mind, so that if your batteries do get low, you can look for a site.
I would also suggest buying 12v laptop chargers instead of going through an inverter. These just plug into a 12v socket. Here's a link to the one I have:
12 v laptop charger

dilby

From what you describe, it sounds like you will mostly be on sites with hookup, with only an occasional night or two not 'plugged in'.
2 x 100 ah batteries should comfortably handle this scenario, especially with solar charging.
I would suggest installing a battery monitor for peace of mind, so that if your batteries do get low, you can look for a site.
I would also suggest buying 12v laptop chargers instead of going through an inverter. These just plug into a 12v socket. Here's a link to the one I have:
12 v laptop charger

Thanks for this. I'm going to go with a multiplus as it will charge the batteries from shore power and unfortunately according to my research at least i won't be able to use 12v for laptops as both my wife and I have the newer macbooks and do work that demands more processing power. This apparently draws too much.

I've decided to go without B2B based on yours and @egg-fried-rice 's advice though; I just think money spent on an extra battery goes further than the B2B and realistically that way I'll never run out. The only time I won't be on site for a longer period of time is when I'm not with me other half when I'll be with with a mate, and i won't be working then so won't need the extra power.

BigAldo

In reality, you only have to replace the charge you have used. So whatever achieves this is right for you.