30 years planning?

Dunslow

Hi, sort of new here, (was signed up to another site for £10, don't mind paying (Jim[?]) ), but don't really want "politics" so came here before as and when. Then it disappeared. Now it's back, I'm elated. I tend to not have much spare time to get to my 'van', or even to the computer. Maybe fire up the laptop once/ twice a week, so bear with me on any reply/ posting.
I've been involved with the motor trade / engineering for nearly 40 years. I've built a couple of campers for others and seen what "I" thought was good/ useful/tat. That was a while ago and many things have happened/ been developed that I can see as beneficial in a build but either don't know enough about, or can't (read don't want to) afford. I have experience with most LGV / Vans and from experience know WHAT I wanted from the outset vehicle wise. Many will argue against (when you see the photos), many will see where I am coming from. On the issue, live with it. Each to their own. IF I am able, I am happy to do my best to help anyone out, but I do tend not to mince words to the point of being blunt (point of view, not language), BUT hopefully not offensive, just purely based on experience.
I am starting my build on a 1998 Renault Master, the was a AT PAPWORTH ambulance. It requires a lot (read LOT) of work, that I am able to carry out myself. My build time is approx, 17 months (If it is completed early, bonus! If it's late, it's late).
I have started stripping out. It requires roof repairs, welding, electrical work and mechanical work. THEN, I can start the conversion.

I look forward to learning from you guys, and sharing my woes and triumphs.
Bring it on.
Simon.

Attachments

Dunslow

Just about every commercially fitted roof light I've come across has leaked after a period of time (possibly from cheaper sealing compound and roof flex). Most subsequent owner tends to seal (or try to) with silicone sealer. The result tends to be a repair that hasn't sealed due to moisture still in between the original sealant so no adhesion, but also any corrosion that has started is the exacerbated due to the acetic acid within the silicone. I saw that the roof light had been "sealed" with silicone on this vehicle and knew I'd find corrosion around it. Also from experience, and actually more prevalent in minibuses than ambulances, is the insulation is inadequate/ no vapour barrier. This promotes condensation forming but then running down the "walls" of the vehicle and rotting around window edges (bare metal edges), and at lower seams/ inner sills.
Again, this is present on my vehicle and I expected to find it. I've removed the complete fibreglass inner skin from this ambulance to be able to address the problems. Which is a shame as with it's cupboards/ floor/ lining would have been perfect as our base vehicle / requirements (camping with dogs). I'm glad I had to though as the weight of the cupboards/ lining/ inner metal supports for roof lining and walls is truly immense. And Ive yet to get the floor up.
I appreciate most of you know this, but more passing on to those with 'older' vehicles.
My previous Master had exactly the same issues, I repaired them and the repairs are still solid, and sound after ten years.
Simon.

Livotlout

Good luck with this build....you are ahead of me, mine is only my second build.
ps : those electrics look a nightmare!

Alec.

Dunslow

Thanks Alec, I may need it :oops:. I'm not overly phased by the build, it's the time I can put to it to see progress.
I agree with you on those electrics. Many wires randomly cut too. I ask the firm that made the circuit board for details and they have sent me (5xA3 schematic drawings which helps, but I think I'll be working out what goes where and removing that circuit board. The only fly in the ointment that I can see is things like the ignition going via it (Why??). Still, what else would I be doing :coldsweat: