vinyl/sticker that looks like rear windows

Discussion in 'Planning and Design' started by Sashadog, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Sashadog

Sashadog Well-Known Member

Hay Lads has anyone ever used vinyl/sticker in the rear doors to simulate a window..

I know it wont look completely like a window but on first glance..

I am getting some stripes on van and whilst at it I wanted to see about trying to break up that big space in the doors that would make it look more like what it is from behind..and not just a van..

Had a google and cant find anything so was wondering has anyone ever done same,,

TIA

2. Groyne

Groyne Well-Known Member

Look up van graphics/decals etc. If Mr B can find a Pole dancer, I'm sure someone can make what you want.

Kermavio likes this.
  3. Sashadog

Have looked it up but to no avail..

just thought some member may have done same or seen same

4. VanNV

VanNV Well-Known Member

can't you just use plain black vinyl and cut it to shape? that's what I was going to do (I have fitted one barn door window, left the other side steel as it will be the bathroom; I wanted to black out the plain door for appearance)

something like this - https://abodewindowfilms.co.uk/product/black-gloss-self-adhesive-vinyl/

I have ordered a free sample...

5. Sashadog

The signwriter that will be doing the stripes will be able to do what i want anyway i just need to see what it would look like first,,so was wondering if anyone had any pictures,,,

6. mr brown

mr brown Well-Known Member

7. Sashadog

8. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

My first new Fiat Ducato conversion had solid rear doors. It was a 1997 H1L1 to which I had a high roof fitted by Eurocampers of Nottingley and two side windows fitted by Vehicle and Marine. I then fitted two side rear panel louvered "blanks" and had the rear door window indentations covered with black vinyl. The vinyl was taken across the door centres to give the general appearance of a single wide rear window. I always thought that it looked the business - well I would wouldn't I. Sorry that I do not have any photos other than this side view. We called this van a "weekend". Geoff.

Attached Files:

Sashadog likes this.
  9. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

10. Sashadog

So this is what I will be going with..
    Note this is a older model van but mine has been measured to accommodate..

The rear window simulation is a light grey colour with a three quarter inch black border around it..
    It's the design on the top picture I have gone with..and the front and rear are as in picture..

Attached Files:

Kermavio likes this.
  11. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

From my own experience avoid buying vinyl graphics that have thin points to their finished design. The reason why I say this is because they can have a very nasty habit of lifting right at the very end of the points.
    This is where I am at the moment so I am going to get out the sharpest of my scalpels and exceptionally carefully trim them down very slightly.

Phil

12. Sashadog

Thanks but it will be a professional sign writer making and fitting same..i have used him numerous times for doing my work vans and he has done loads of others that I know and have never seen his work peel..

Buzzy Beans likes this.
  13. Sashadog

Well what do we think ??

Attached Files:

14. Kermavio

It does the job, doesn't it? And because they are not the usual style of rear door windows on the Relay, it immediately gets away from the image of a white van. It'll only be when someone is close, that they'll realise they're not real. Which is just what you wanted. Brilliant!!

15. Sashadog

I'm in two minds to be honest..
    But I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.
    See rest below.

Attached Files:

16. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

They look the dogs danglies Sashadog, well impressed.

Phil

Sashadog likes this.
  17. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

Very tasteful great job

Sashadog likes this.
  18. Kermavio

Now that you've got the decals on the back, it looks really good.

Sashadog likes this.
  19. Pugwash

Pugwash Well-Known Member

I'd have probably got a speed camera sticker and a black square, so you look like a camera van :)