The new Mercedes Sprinter............. any good?

Discussion in 'Base Vehicles' started by Buzzy Beans, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:05 PM.

1. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

I have just been reading through the details of the all new Merc. Sprinter and for some of those with deep pockets, it might be of interest to them as it now comes with a fully galvanised body as well as a FWD option.
    Mind you it doesn't appear to be as wide internally as a Sevel van and unless you go for the RWD version the internal lengths aren't as long either from what I can see.

But boy oh boy, you will need to have deep and very well lined pockets!!

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/news/2018/new-2018-mercedes-benz-sprinter-details-pictures/

Darcar likes this.
  2. Liberty hall

Liberty hall Well-Known Member

7789CABD-CBEB-491B-A9A5-AAC559EDABF2.jpeg If your offering BB yes please :)
    Ken

3. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

That picture looks great - especially the beautiful flush glass windows!!! Geoff.

Liberty hall likes this.
  4. Liberty hall

Liberty hall Well-Known Member

Geoff
    I think that’s just our view;)
    Take care
    Ken

GEOFF likes this.
  5. Buzzy Beans

But at something like £10k more than a top spec. Sevel van, seriously for us diymotorhomers with not so deep and well lined pockets, that is one hell of a lot more dosh for any of us to stump up?
    Phil

6. fifthwheel

fifthwheel Well-Known Member

I wish them luck with the new Sprinter, I have been driving Merc vehicles since the seventies and always thought a lot about the company and its vehicles. This last few years they are not as reliable as they should be for the extra money they so arrogantly demand.
    In typically German style they look down on their customers and dismiss criticism/warranty claims that should be put right at their expense. My son gets a lot of Sprinters for repair to his garage, mainly electrical problems but the mechanical side give plenty of heartache too. As we all know the rust showing on the outside of young vans is unacceptable for what we are told is a premium product. If I had any sense at all I would be running Toyota, Honda etc. I have said a few times on forums if Toyota made a big van they would take most of the market. They say quality is remembered long after price is forgotten but this sadly does not apply to modern Mercedes. We still run two Merc cars I must be a glutton for punishment.:) john.

Buzzy Beans and Roadrunner like this.
  7. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Well-Known Member

Toyota do make big wagons but dont send them to gb,i worked for them years back and were the best thing since sliced bread,i never sold more than about 3 short engines in seven years,and they were to very high mileage dil vans.
    Merc garage just up the rd from me say stay well away as ex filters are over a grand and require changing each year if driven short trips like door to door drops,maybe ok for long distance runs lasting a bit longer.

8. fifthwheel

Hi Trev, I know they make big wagons but do they make a tranny size van?

9. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

I too have been looking at the new sprinter, very nice and yes galvanised ( about time though)
    I’v read in the mmm magazine that a lot of the European motorhome makers are going to release new models on this new sprinter base,
    They have been working with Mercedes to build in opinions for use when converting.
    So will be interesting if nothing else.
    Darren

10. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if something has been lost in translation and that instead of "galvanised", it should be "gold plated":D!

Buzzy Beans likes this.
  11. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

Haha yeah that would be a great at rustproofing...

12. Buzzy Beans

Going by the prices being asked for them Chris you would think that they are gold plated with diamonds for headlights!! Come on, upwards of £10k over and above for a similarly sized Sevel van, surely they have to be joking?
    Phil

13. fifthwheel

Judging by the old model its debatable if the Merc is any better than the Sevel vans. They do make a lot more money at auction though. john.

14. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Well-Known Member

Not sure as i have been away from toyota for some 30 years now but i would think a web search may turn something up.