Sound deadening?

Discussion in 'Interior Construction' started by Hazlenut, Jul 10, 2018 at 8:22 PM.

Tags:
  1. Hazlenut

Hazlenut Well-Known Member

On insulation I'm now inclined to go the spray foam route thinking this might also help silence any vibrations, but before doing that I'm wondering whether to stick something over a few panels at the back to deaden the worst rattles. Any suggestions?

Should it be heavier stuff, or will a few pieces of closed cell foam matting be enough? Or do you think the spray foam should deaden everything? I'm hoping it will just stick over the top of whatever's underneath with no adhesion issues.

Cheers,
    Andy

2. time4t

time4t Well-Known Member

Spray foam is v good at deadening sound, so is closed cell foam rubber.

I'm not sure about any adhesion issues regarding spray foam on foam rubber, but foam rubber is flexible spray foam not so much.

If you go the foam rubber route, make sure it's closed cell & I would use tiger seal to stick it to the panels.
    High heat adhesives will let go after a short time without support ( a year or so).

The foam rubber will need pressing against the panels while the adhesive sets.

Phill

3. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

I took the anti-drumming ribs out of my van before treating it with spray foam. As the foam is hard when it's cured, panels cannot move or vibrate, so there is no noise.

I wouldn't have thought, therefore, that anything underneath the foam would be necessary.

4. Hazlenut

@Kermavio, apart from the ribs becoming redundant did you have any particular reason to remove them other than weight saving? Just curious.

Andy.

5. Kermavio

No, weight saving was the reason I took them out. The Daily is a heavy old bus and I need to save as much as I can wherever I can so that the finished van comes in under 3.5 tonnes.

6. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

We used Spray foam insulation, and I can guarantee that you won’t need any additional sound deadening.
    It was a complete transformation when ours was sprayed. The van feels totally different from before. I was amazed st the difference.
    We did the walls and ceiling but not the floor. Our floor is plywood anyway,
    Good luck.

Hazlenut likes this.
  7. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

When I had my 'Millie' spray foam lined the difference in vibration and road noise before/after was absolutely amazing!

I most certainly wouldn't stick any anti vibration material onto the van walls before spray foam lining as to do so would reduce the amount of direct contact between the spray foam and the vans metal walls.

Where are you thinking of having the spray foaming done Andy?

Phil

Hazlenut likes this.
  8. Hazlenut

After reading a fair bit I'm seriously considering doing it myself, though that may change and there are a whole bunch of other related decisions to make that may influence things. The only recommendations I've seen are a fair distance from me, and although that's probably solvable there's the nagging worry about how well it will be done. I'm probably the opposite of everyone else and more inclined to have the windows fitted than the foam as I'd probably spend too much time fretting over exactly where to cut. Happy to do the roof holes as they're less visible.

Pernickety is my middle name and greatest flaw. That's not to say this van will be anywhere near perfect, far from it as I'm on a ticker-timer that allows no room for perfection. Never having done any of this before it's likely I'll make mistakes, possibly some serious ones and the time-pressure may result in a bodge or two. I'm trying to get the infrastructure right though and hoping other things can be fixed, perhaps post-reregistration as I go along if necessary.

My thinking is that if you do it yourself at least you know what you've got and although it's never pleasant when things go wrong I've grown used to living with my own mistakes over the years. There have sure been enough of them. :rolleyes:

9. Kermavio

I think you'd be surprised as to the number of bods on here who share(d) your worries, fears and concerns. I certainly did and cut my first holes in the roof for exactly the same reason as you. But by the time I'd done those, I was confident enough to dig some holes in the sides. And no-one has noticed that one of my windows is 5mm out of true.

To a certain extent, the physical make-up of your van and your design will limit where a window can go. It's not a good idea to cut through any vertical struts as they are usually integral strengthening pillars. And if you find that your hole is a couple of centimetres from the ideal, it probably won't matter.

And yes, I've made mistakes. But part of the fun of doing your own van is finding a solution to your mistake(s).

This is the DIY motorhome forum and I'm building my own van. So I want to try and do as much of it myself as I can. Even though I'm deemed to be no longer economically viable and have been put out to grass with a pension, I'm learning all sorts of new skills and methods of working. As well as a whole new range of products.

Talking of which, these people do spray foam kits: https://foamseal.co.uk/ I have no connection with them except that they were extremely helpful when I was researching insulation. Sadly, they were unable to find a courier who would deliver to France, so I didn't buy from them.

fifthwheel likes this.