Sketchup

Discussion in 'Planning and Design' started by misterg, Dec 29, 2017.

1. misterg

misterg Well-Known Member

For those who are interested in using Sketchup to help plan your layouts, etc. I thought this video was a good description of how to start drawing up your van:

(If you're new to Sketchup, I'd highly recommend going through the four 'Getting Started' videos here: https://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos/826 )

For those that don't know, there's a huge resource of shared models that are available to use in the '3D Warehouse'.

The bits and bobs that I've drawn can be seen here (hopefully - let me know if not. I intend to add the #DIYCamper tag to them in due course.)

I know that quilkin has created some models of common parts, too.

Sketchup 'Make' is still free to use at the moment.

roadliner, Vanish9876, Jim and 4 others like this.
  2. Wissel

Wissel Well-Known Member

I watched that the other night (love Greg's videos) - wish he'd put it out a few months ago :)

Kind of hoping his Part-2 on Sketchup is quite soon as could do with learning a little more before drawing individual components for inside the van. I'd love to have the time to properly learn this software (instead of being lazy and designing most things in Illustrator 2D).

3. misterg

I'll have to have a look at some of his others - That came up as a Youtube suggestion, and I thought it was really well done.

4. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

I used good old paper and pencil when I did my drawings mainly because my van would have rotted out before I learned how to do anything useful on Sketchup. But having seen the above and also seen what a friend of mine does with it for building projects, I'm going to download it and play with it just for fun.

Thanks for posting, Andy.

5. quilkin

quilkin Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, they can be found (along with misterG's excellent models) by searching for the tag #DIYCamper. Only 3 so far from me but I will add more later.
    Also, as an illustration of how useful and effectively-used Sktechup can be for us campervan designers, have a look at Wissel's excellent video if you haven't already done so.

misterg and Wissel like this.
  6. misterg

Some information on layers that would have saved me a lot of frustration (it's not like Autocad, etc.):

7. misterg

Another excellent Sketchup video from Greg Virgoe where he describes how to draw up furniture:

I learned something from the bit at the end on materials.

8. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

I will see if the crusty old and rapidly fading noddle box of mine can get in step with the new fandangled tools so that I can plan out the interior of my bike workshop!

Always in the past I have laboriously used an ancient copy of Adobe PageMaker to draw up plans, but although I could understand them my most dearly beloved has never been able to understand anything than a 3D image.

Phil

Wissel likes this.
  9. Liberty hall

Liberty hall Well-Known Member

No drawings or software here!!! Just bought the salvage caravan, and made parts fit. If I had to learn how to use software and (the dark art) I’d be pushing up daisies
    Take care all
    Ken

10. Vanish9876

Vanish9876 Well-Known Member

There's some really useful info here. I've used SketchUp to plan things in the garden, but didn't bother to use it on the van. It's a great application.
    Would be useful if this post was stickied.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    misterg likes this.
  11. Pugwash

Pugwash Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the old fashioned and use 3D Studio Max for my planning :)

Wissel likes this.
  12. Hazlenut

Hazlenut Well-Known Member

Never used 3D before but I have to say Sketchup is looking like an interesting as a way of trialling layouts. As with all fairly involved software it's easy to get stuck distracted with this, but I'm surprised it's so quick to learn and to get a layout going. Started with interior measurements for a Renault Master, but around my inner shell I seem somehow to have ended up with a Sprinter exterior and cab...ho hum. Think this build is going to be pretty unique before I ever get to the build.

13. fifthwheel

fifthwheel Well-Known Member

I tried Sketchup a couple of times it took me a long time to do a very basic drawing. I find at my age going back to something like this to carry on where I left off is challenging as I have to start and learn again as I have forgotten every thing I learned.:confused:

GEOFF likes this.
  14. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

It only gets worse!!! Geoff.

15. Pugwash

Pugwash Well-Known Member

Even after drawing all mine to the millimeter, I still marked the floor out with tape. You can't get an idea of scale until you stand in it.

misterg and Wissel like this.
  16. Wissel

Wissel Well-Known Member

Such a good tip. This is how I showed the Missus exactly how things would be before building the last van.

This time I'm roughly building it all with cardboard and tape (at her request). What's the bet that even when cardboard it's better built than half the manufactured motorhomes around :D

iansum and VanNV like this.
  17. F Duncan

F Duncan Member

Fantastic tool for 3d visualisation . . . planned my van with it too . . .