Quart into a pint pot

Discussion in 'Planning and Design' started by GEOFF, Dec 7, 2017.

1. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

Thanks for the above comments. Not what I was hoping to hear. Getting the bolts out is not the problem because they are bolted up from underneath and whilst a dirty/mucky job, they will come out (the ones that I have tried so far) with an air impact driver. The problem seems to be that when the floor was installed some the places where it was not possible drill the floor (round the wheel arches and doorway etc.) or leveling was required packers and some form of glue were used. The glue looks like some form of PU adhesive, but probably developed on another planet as it is very tough and sticks like ???? Geoff.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. Chaser

Chaser Well-Known Member

We have two ambulances on the go, my sons fiat and my Renault , we had such a game getting his out I have left mine in , that's any under the floor level, but it must make a hell of a difference to the payload.

3. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

The reason that I did not want to leave it in is because the Maxus does not have too much internal height. I suppose that I could put some of the Harrison thin floor underfloor sound deadening/insulation on top of the floor and then 6mm plywood. It would certainly be very easy to fix anything to the floor with strong self tappers!!! I will google it to find the weight. Geoff.

4. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

No luck about the weight per sq.M on google, does anyone on hear know? the system is Unwin Innotrax. If it is not too heavy I may decide to keep it as it could possibly come in handy for fixing a travel seat and it is approved for seat belt anchorages. I will probably have to phone Unwin agents net week for more details. Geoff.

5. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

Chaser, was the tracking that you removed the full aluminum floor system or just the tracking? If it was the full floor system, what would you guestimate the wt/sq M to be. My floor area is about 6sq M, but I guess that the Fiat would have been significantly more. Thanks. Geoff.

6. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

I have spoken to Harrison trim and they told me that some manufacturers use only their thermoliner (8mm) as the van insulation, and that it is not really necessary to add any additional insulation. In the past I have always used a combination of 25mm celotex (underfloor) and 50 rockwool (roof and sides). Harrison did say that Dacron could be applied over the Thermoliner if required. My question is "does anyone have any experience of using a vehicle just insulated with just Thermoliner"? Geoff.

7. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

I started to strip out the lining panels on the first minibus yesterday, so you can imagine my surprise When I went down the workshop this morning to find that 2 of the lads had completed a basic conversion for me - not too sure if it will meet with DVLA approval though. Geoff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    time4t, Buzzy Beans, Kev Behr and 5 others like this.
  8. Groyne

Groyne Well-Known Member

Looks good, they could go into business.

9. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

Very versatile - all ready to take outside for a picnic when the weather improves.

GEOFF likes this.
  10. Chaser

Chaser Well-Known Member

My type of conversion, had something like that in the sixties :)

GEOFF likes this.
  11. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

I suspect that several of us have been there. Geoff.

12. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

The V80 is definitely going to get going to get then rear doors replaced with a solid one piece rear end. We have decided to try the idea out on the first minibus. the minibus now has two single front seats and swivels fitted. The rear doors have been removed and we have started to make the pattern for the rear end. Geoff.

13. Kev Behr

Kev Behr Well-Known Member

There used to be a seller on Ebay who did GRP back panels for <06 ducatos with a window panel, then it disappeared, a while later the moulds came up for sale, I did consider buying them, & I did mention it on the dark side, I wonder who bought the molds though and if they are being used.

GEOFF likes this.
  14. fifthwheel

fifthwheel Well-Known Member

I am fitting a rear panel to my old plastic pig Geoff its all cut and ready to fit. I bought ali sheet, very expensive but looking back I should have used galvanized sheet to keep the cost down. With my conversion weight doesn't matter too much as I think its plated at 4200kg.

GEOFF likes this.
  15. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

I had at one stage (5/6 years ago) arranged to buy a set of those (the same?) moulds, but the deal came to nought. Since that date I tried to locate them again and heard they were in Derbyshire, but I failed to locate them. A friend took a mould off his Peugeot which I now have access to and am going to incorporate part of the flatter Sevel back in the Maxus pattern. Off now to play Backends!!! Geoff.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Chaser likes this.
  16. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

The pattern for the single piece rear end is nearly finished now and will hopefully be sprayed with high build primer today or tomorrow, then it can be flatted and should be ready to make the mould later this week. Geoff.

Chaser and Kermavio like this.
  17. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

Pattern finished and most of the mould now laid up, last bit of glassing tomorrow AM so we can leave it to cure for a couple of days to let the mould harden up a bit. The mould has taken a little while as 3 separate mould lines were required. The mould will probably require a bit of work when the pattern is removed so I hope to get a moulding out towards the end of the week. Geoff.

Kermavio likes this.
  18. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing it.

time4t likes this.
  19. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

Me too. Geoff.

20. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

The mould is now finished and had 6 coats of hardwax polish applied and was laid up today. Now just hoping that it releases ok. I will post a pic if it comes out OK. Geoff.