My new Water Heater - iMass IWH-1.5E (instant water heater)

Discussion in 'Water and Waste' started by Wissel, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Wissel

Wissel Well-Known Member

Thought I'd add this as there's a new option in water heaters now available.

As some of you may know, we really wanted an instant water heater for our van. The choices were the Alde Flow (total quote for the Alde system was £4.7k and we couldn't fit it into our design) or one of the ones designed for a static caravan (Morco/Bosch/etc) which wasn't ideal for numerous reasons.

In the USA these have been available for a while, with units made by companies like Surburban, even Truma. The trouble is none of these are certified for the European market (they use too much gas) so aren't really available over here.

Now there's a new product available. It's made by a German company called iMass and it's the first EU certified instant hot water heater designed for a motorhome. Here's a link for anyone interested:
    http://imass-gmbh.com/produkte/durchlauferhitzer/1/iwh-1.5e

I know not an issue for most, but with living in this van full-time, we really wanted a proper shower. With this we have one :)

It arrived this morning. Here's a few images:
    IMG_20180427_105511.jpg
    IMG_20180427_105547.jpg
    I'll update this thread when I've fitted it, but for now a happy David :)

Pugsy, Edina, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  2. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

That heater sounds great, but at 320mm cubed sounds a bit large. As with any instant hot water system it is a bit power hungry (5-10kw) and seems to need to run off 0.5 litres of cold before getting up to temperature from cold. I think it would be great for larger vans with plenty of space and water capacity, but not for smaller vehicles. Congratulations on your purchase - possibly the first one in the UK? Good luck with it and let us know how you get on. Geoff.

Wissel likes this.
  3. stevetheplumber

stevetheplumber Well-Known Member

320 cubed isnt that big it must be almost the same as the old caravan ones which were longer and thiner and not much bigger than the 13 litre truma and a better shape10kw of gas is a bit hungry though

Wissel likes this.
  4. Edina

Edina Well-Known Member

Looks a neat bit of kit, be interested to know how it performs.

Wissel likes this.
  5. Wissel

Wissel Well-Known Member

Gas wise, it uses up to 765g/h compared to say a Truma Combi 4 which uses up to 320g/h.

But, if I want a shower the heater will only be burning gas for a few minutes so I think should be quite good on consumption overall?

Thanks for the comments, I'll keep you all updated on progress :)

Edina and GEOFF like this.
  6. Pugwash

Pugwash Well-Known Member

Nice. Can we all come have a shower and see how we got on?

Wissel likes this.
  7. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

I didn't realize this was that kind of forum!!! Geoff.;););)

Kermavio, Edina and Wissel like this.
  8. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

Sod's law, innit? I buy my Widney Slimtronic room sealed water heater only last month and then this turns up!

Although taller, the Widney isn't so deep and it's similar price, so I'm quite happy with it. But as Geoff pointed out, both would be a bit of a squeeze in a smaller van.

Attached Files:

Wissel likes this.
  9. fifthwheel

fifthwheel Well-Known Member

How are you going to vent it David?

10. Wissel

Wissel Well-Known Member

It vents straight out of the side (the vent is built into the side, this little round thing). Nice and simple :)

fifthwheel likes this.
  11. Richard Lees

Richard Lees New Member

Did you ever get the heater fitted? Any more pictures and updates? Cheers!