Leveling blocks..

Discussion in 'General Self Build Chat' started by Darcar, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

As I’m sure you all aware, our van is quite big, ( Mercedes vario 814d )

I’m looking for a couple of leveling ramps, but can’t find any which are capable of taking twin back wheels, and our 7 ton.
    Has anyone bought or built anything that would cope?

I bought a couple of aluminium light aircraft chocks, which are great for the front.
    Thanks Darren.

2. IAN HANCOCK

IAN HANCOCK Member

Hi Darren i bought a set of Fiamma 12 ton large ramps off Ebay about £40 which we used on the rear of our 7.5 ton truck,the only thing i found was we could have done with one on each wheel as we found it a bit rocky with only one wheel on ramps each side so second pair will be bought before our next trip
    Ian

3. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

Thanks I think that’s the way I’m going to have to go. Although I hope to manage with only 2 blocks.
    Thanks Darren.

4. fifthwheel

fifthwheel Well-Known Member

They could be easily made from plywood its very strong edge upwards. john

5. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

2B921490-6DD4-4E55-AA29-1824B54E43C5.png
    I had to make some quick for a unplanned trip of a couple days this week..
    Not a great picture but they worked ok. Very sloppy site.

6. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

It depends on your storage facilities on board Darren, but after trying several different makes of injection moulded ramps from the likes of Fiamma and a couple of other well known makes, I decided to go and do what I had made several years ago in my tugging days.
    I bought a couple of 2" x 10" tanalised heavy duty scaffolding planks, I then cut them off at varying lengths with a 45 degree cut at what was to be the vehicle wheel entry end.
    To stop the main and largest plank from sliding along on the ground (this is approx. 60cm. long) I drilled at various points some 20mm holes into which I glued/hammered in dowels that protrude by approx 10mm.
    The second plank is only approx 50cm. long and it has 2 dowels inserted into it which peg into holes cut into the top side of the longest base plank.
    The third plank is only approx 30cm. long and it also has 2 dowels inserted into it which peg into holes cut into the top side of the other planks.

OK it only gives me a lift of approx 6", bur on most sites I have found that to be enough.

I have 2 x sets of these planks installed into a special compartment of the rear storage area of 'Millie' and you can see them just above the spare wheel in this photograph. For your application I would have thought that 4 sets of these would prove to be man enough for the job.

Phil
    Back storage.jpg

Darcar likes this.
  7. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

Thanks Phil. That’s a great idea, will give them a go.
    Darren.