Glue recommendations for plywood

Discussion in 'Interior Construction' started by peter edwards, Feb 13, 2018.

1. peter edwards

peter edwards Well-Known Member

hello folks,

I'm looking for an easily spreadable glue (not spray), to bond cosmetic 3mm finish (ply), to ply cupboards, internal walls etc.
    Any recommendations?. Thanks very much !
    peter

ps i did search the forum, but glue comes up 100's of times in threads

2. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

peter edwards likes this.
  3. peter edwards

4. peter edwards

Ah, instant contact adhesive unforgiving (ie no 2nd chance :(), so I'm going with wood glue

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

Try gorilla glue. I’v been really impressed with it.

6. RayF

RayF Well-Known Member

time4t likes this.
  7. david.c.hall

david.c.hall Well-Known Member

What's wrong with spray glue? I found it so much easier.
    David

8. misterg

misterg Well-Known Member

I think that the stuff is bloody fantastic, but it's the last thing I'd try and use for bonding large areas because of the way it foams up. If you could find a way of clamping the bejesus out of the panels then it would be great!

I've had bad experiences with Cascamite - a whole load of joints where it seemed to work, but then just crumbled like sugar. I found Aerolite 306 after than and never had a problem with it. However, times move on...

I'd be tempted to use impact adhesive for gluing panels together, I think - either spray or spreadable.

9. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

I would stay well away from contact adhesive as it has to be applied to both surfaces and it doesn't give you any chance to reposition anything once it has grabbed.

My walls are constructed with a base layer of 6mm ply which is glued and screwed to the ribs of the side walls of the van, on top of this in the main living room sections I faced this (cheap as chips) ply with thin oak faced lightweight ply that I stuck with whatever silicone based adhesive I was using at the time (Sikaflex, Stixall, ????) running a zig-zag bead along with one around the total circumference. Because of the curvature of the sidewalls of the Renault Master I wedged struts across the width of the van along with large spreader pads (that took up the curvature) at either end so as to keep an even pressure across the entire panel being stuck up....... If you see what I mean?

Phil

10. mr brown

mr brown Well-Known Member

11. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

Sorry Nige but from my experience anything with the B&Q DIALL brand mark has to be treated with the contempt it so richly deserves,most especially the paints!
    Phil

12. time4t

time4t Well-Known Member

I use evo stick water proof (blue bottle) wood glue, it can be spread with a brush & it's as permanant as concrete!

It's best to use a wall paper scraper to apply it on a larger area, it does start to set quite quickly.

Oh, & clamp it, clamp it OR use your old car batteries for weights & weight it, then wait for it to set! 24hrs should do it.

Phill

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  13. mr brown

mr brown Well-Known Member

doh, i'll have to buy some now and give it another go