First time van build

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pic393, Jun 10, 2018.

1. pic393

pic393 Member

Hello from a first time van builder/converter.

After many years of owning folding campers my Wife and I decided to try a cheap campervan conversion rather than invest in another F/C, I stripped the camper selling as many bits as possible but retaining all furniture, cushions etc. So the search began for a swb low roof Ducato/Boxer/Relay of 2002-2006 vintage, my reasons for a Seville van being that the interior of our camper would fit perfectly in its current layout.

We purchased a 56 reg 2.0 Hdi Boxer from Holyhead via Ebay after making an offer of £1000 which was £300 less than asking price, it was accepted.

Van has 11 months mot, never been welded, new clutch, recon gearbox and linkage, new strut bearings, new brakes, discs and pipes all round so all in a (hopefully) good purchase. As we've got most bits to convert we hope to do it all for an additional £800.00 on top of purchase price.

3.jpg

2. VanNV

VanNV Well-Known Member

Hi pic393, and welcome to DIYMH!

looks like a good little van to "start your journey" (c:

3. Hazlenut

Hazlenut Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard,

Looks like a great buy. Could do with shrinking my budget to the kind of numbers you're talking about there :)

Lots of good help here and a friendly bunch. I'm sure they'll all be along in a minute when they see it's my turn to step up at the karaoke machine and start singing.

Good luck with your build!

Andy.

4. Kermavio

Kermavio Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

That's a nice looking little van at what seems a good price - I'm in France and vehicles retain their value here. You seem to have all your ideas sorted, but if you run into problems, we are here to try and help you solve them.

Good luck with your build and just give us a shout if you need us - or can help someone else.

5. pandj

pandj Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. Good luck with your build. Won't be short of help if you need it.

6. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, to the friendly forum.
    I can see the advantages of doing a swb van, but a low roof ! Why? Or are you going to fit a pop top?
    Good luck with your build and have fun...
    Darcar.

Buzzy Beans likes this.
  7. GEOFF

GEOFF Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your conversion. Nice clean looking van you have. Geoff.

8. pic393

pic393 Member

Thanks, the reason for a low roof is parking is limited where I live and there is a height restriction on the car park for our apartment block where I have 2 spaces.

Darcar likes this.
  9. Pugsy

Pugsy Well-Known Member

Hi n welcome to the forum, Good luck with the build,you seem to have it all ready to go.

Cheers Cris.

10. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to our friendly and knowledgeable place of diymotorhome intrigue.

So good to have someone introduce themselves in the proper place on our site rather than feeding in posts wherever on our site when none of us know who you are.

As yours is a 56 plate Boxer and hence before the entire body was galvanised, make sure you thoroughly check all of those hidden places for the dreaded tin worm............... But don't worry toooooo much as your beautiful well maintained van looks like it could well tick all of your boxes.

Good luck and welcome aboard

Phil

11. Stephen

Stephen Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,nice looking van ! :cool:

Stephen.

12. time4t

time4t Well-Known Member

Hi pic393 & welcome to the forum.

A pop top would be a good addition to your build plan, it might be a pain in the neck to do it but it'll avoid the real pain in your neck in future!
    Phill

Darcar, GEOFF and Buzzy Beans like this.
  13. pic393

pic393 Member

Thanks for the welcoming comments, I've started the van build with my limited skills so I will updates on the appropriate page