Cosmetic finishing trims, materials for gaps, corners etc

Discussion in 'Materials and Suppliers' started by peter edwards, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:57 AM.

1. peter edwards

peter edwards Well-Known Member

Been having a think about how gaps, corners, imperfections, eg between van wall and partitions can be finished. I'm expecting to need to do that !. Needs to be flexible, cut cleanly etc.
    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks !. Peter

2. Groyne

Groyne Well-Known Member

Lots of different size and shape profiles about, usually in white, black, brown or beige. If it's only a small gap, a bead of silicone will make the world of difference.

3. peter edwards

Thanks Groyne
    Do you know what profiles are called or where to find?. I drew a blank so far, as not using right search term. Thanks

4. Pugwash

Pugwash Well-Known Member

B&Q sell quite a selection. They are usually stored in "pigeon holes" on the end of an aisle and sold in lengths of about 2.4m

BTW they call them "angle moulding" on their web site.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 3:44 PM
  5. peter edwards

Ah ok Thanks. I know the type.
    I hoped given the size of campervan industry, there'd be a purpose made range available separately from generic diy. Most seems to be rigid wood rather than flexible alternative.

6. Pugwash

I've bought PVC before. They come in this, pine and aluminium generally. It seems Wickes call them the same thing too.

peter edwards likes this.
  7. Darcar

Darcar Well-Known Member

Decorators clucking is good for small fine joints, it takes up the colour if you’re varnishing or painting over it.

8. peter edwards

even better than Decorator's Caulking ;)

Darcar likes this.
  9. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

I used right angle white plastic trim (bought from B&Q) in the reveals around the inset windows, as there is the annoying curves of the side walls of the Renault Master I discovered that this moulding had just enough give to take up the curve however it was a right royal faff to hold in place whilst the Stixall went off!

The walls and ceiling of the shower room and the ceiling of the main body of the van I trimmed with the truly excellent Morlands lightweight vinyl ply, the problem I have had is that no matter how many times I have cleaned the vinyl with spirit so as to get it totally clean, no matter how many times and no matter the quality (and astronomic price) of the sealing silicone that I have used as a bead seal around the edges, the bloody silicone only stays stuck to the surface for at best 10 months! Now I have come to expect to re-do the siliconing on an annual basis!!

Phil

10. Pugwash

About 8 years ago I sealed our home bath and shower with some "Sealing strip" from Wilko (Wilkinsons) that has stayed put. It's a flexible flat tape with putty on the rear and folds in half to fit inside corners. At the time it was an idiot's sealant but I bought more recently to do the kitchen. I might nick it for my van's shower instead. :) It's available in various widths.
    20180214_094045.jpg 20180214_094049.jpg

time4t and peter edwards like this.
  11. mr brown

mr brown Well-Known Member

i rarely use silicone for anything , inside or out . i used Stixall in my bathroom. any other gaps i use stixall if i need adhesion , decorators caulk just to fill

12. Val33

Val33 Member

I've used a similar product from B&Q in our house in the shower cubicle, easy to apply and 100% seal that withstands joint movement (1850's house that flexes!). I hand't considered it for the van, but it might be just the job.

13. Val33

Val33 Member

Has the Stixall discoloured in the bathroom?

14. mr brown

mr brown Well-Known Member

no, and i used caulk to grout tiles in the kitchen and that's still white after 6 yrs. and i remember now where i do use silicone - it's great for sticking tiles !

15. peter edwards

Indeed. I feel your pain :angry:

16. peter edwards

Looks very useful. Thanks for the recommendation

17. time4t

time4t Well-Known Member

18. time4t

time4t Well-Known Member

Dunno what happend there, it seems my reply was included in your post:)

Phill

19. Buzzy Beans

Buzzy Beans Well-Known Member

I know Phill, it is an age thing and according to my most beloved I am never wrong!!

Sorry for the confusion but I didn't use white spirit but methylated spirits the first time I did the siliconing and then last time I used cellulose thinners which I had to be extra careful with as it showed signs of dissolving the vinyl !!
    Next time I will follow the advice of he who is the fountain of all knowledge (@mr brown) and will use Stixall.

Phil