Connecting water hose to hose

Discussion in 'Water and Waste' started by Andy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Long story but, I need to do a bit of maintenance before I go away soon.
    I need to join two lengths of hose for my cold water supply for my sink.
    I’ve thought of using a straight connector, jubilee clips and then using large heat shrink.

Has anybody had to do this and how did they do it - leak free :)

Thanks

Andy

2. Liberty hall

Liberty hall Well-Known Member

How about John Guest fitting
    Ken

Andy likes this.
  3. Edina

Edina Well-Known Member

Andy likes this.
  4. squiffy

squiffy Well-Known Member

It really depends on what cold water pipe your using Andy, it would help to know is it 12mm semi rigid plastic or half inch flexible ? Phil

5. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

@Liberty hall do John Guest fittings work well with hoses and the pressure from a 20psi pump?

@Edina Ive tried a straight connector with jubilee clips and it still leaked. Not a lot but still any leak is no good. Thanks for the link though.

@squiffy it’s a blue 12mm food grade hose.

Thanks all

Andy

6. squiffy

squiffy Well-Known Member

Morning Andy, in that case a John Guest strait connector is really your only choice, I've used John Guest connectors for years and never had any problems, they are easy to use and very quick to facilitate pipe joints with semi rigid 12mm pipe. Phil

But if you hav'nt got the time to wait for delivery of a J/G straight connector, to stop the slight leak in a barbed pipe joint and jubilee clips, you can smear adhesive sealant around the connector tube, fit the pipe and clips but wait 24hrs before you put the pipe under water pressure.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Liberty hall, Edina and Andy like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Thanks Phil. I’ll give this a go today :)

8. roadliner

roadliner Well-Known Member

Andy .If using jubilee clips on a barbed joint immerse hose end in boiling water before fitting clip it softens hose so it moulds better to the barbs giving a more secure joint. Dave

Buzzy Beans, mr brown and Edina like this.
  9. mr brown

mr brown Well-Known Member

never make a hose joint without warming the pipe first , i always have a heat gun handy for this. in my garden i have 2 lengths of hose joined with a length of 15mm copper pipe and hoseclips , never leaked for years and that's mains pressure

10. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave and Nige

I did use a heat gun on the hose and this system has always worked for me before (taught this by Nige) but for some reason it didn’t this time. It had a slight leak both ends. I tried using the heat gun again but still the same small leak!!

Andy

11. fifthwheel

fifthwheel Well-Known Member

Is your hose clip too big for the pipe and forming a letter D shape when tightened? john

Andy likes this.
  12. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

No it’s the correct size John. It the same one I used before.

Andy

13. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

I’ve bought a John Guest straight connnector so I’ll have a go this afternoon to fit it.

Thanks

Andy

14. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Ok update time.

I’ve fitted the JG connector and it’s worked a treat.

BUT ......

The connection to the tap (as seen in the picture) has a very small leak!

What do people suggest to seal this connection? A sealant of some kind?

Thanks

Andy

Attached Files:

15. fifthwheel

fifthwheel Well-Known Member

That clip does not look like Jubilee to me:eek:

16. mr brown

mr brown Well-Known Member

also i think the hose may be too big for those tap pigtails , i like it when you have to warm the pipe to stretch it over the pigtail. i would suggest 2 things , get better quality clips, at least this one , and you haven't heated the pipe enough to help it reduce to the size needed